Saturday, June 23, 2007

This Weeks EW

Hey Guys,

Chris here. This weeks Entertainment Weekly is a good buy (even though most of them are, so what makes this an exception?) since it holds their list of the "Top 25 Greatest Action Movies Of All Time".

Of course I bought it and sunk my teeth right into. The list didn't surprise me in the least, some I like and some I don't. I would put some on my list and others not-so-much. So without further ado, theirs and my list of the "25 Greatest Action Films Of All Time".

Entertainment Weekly List
Ranked Least To Greatest

25- The Incredibles
24- Lethal Weapon
23- Drunken Master II
22- Predator
21- Spiderman 2
20- Kill Bill Vol 1
19- Goldfinger
18- The Adventures Of Robin Hood
17- The Bourne Supremacy
16- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
15- Enter The Dragon
14- Robocop
13- The Wild Bunch
12- The Empire Strikes Back
11- Speed
10- T2
9- Hard-Boiled
8- Saving Private Ryan
7- Gladiator
6- Seven Samurai
5- The Matrix
4- The Road Warrior
3- Raiders of the Lost Ark
2- Aliens
1- Die Hard

Wow! Nice list, is mine even comparable? Let's look and find out...

My List
Ranked Least To Greatest

25- Daylight: This is my favorite Stallone Non-Rocky/Rambo movie. Great action and I watch it whenever it's on just like everyone else. Yeah, it's cheesy; but hey, that's why we love it.

24- Fantastic Four - Rise Of The Silver Surfer: An eye-opener for the franchise and thinking I'd hate it I ended up loving it and that is why it makes the list. See my review.

23- The Rundown: The Rocks best role in my opinion and a great movie with great action, awesome story, and cool dialogue. Rosario Dawson looks great in it and Sean William Scott steals the movie. Check it out.

22- Spiderman 2: Hated the first one, but loved this one. Don't ask me why.

21- Total Recall: This movie is down and out awesome. One of Arnolds better roles and arguably his best sci-fi movie. I own it and will never get tired of watching it. Sharon Stone is hot in it also. Big surprise!

20- Minority Report: My favorite Tom Cruise film and also my favorite film based on a Phillip K. Dick book (yes even more than "Blade Runner") puts this movie in my list.

19- Back To The Future Part II: This film actually has great action sequences believe it or not and some of the best flying car scenes ever on film. The hoverboard chase in the tunnel between Marty and Biff still gives me white-nuckles every time and it's still one of my favorite movies ever.

18- Star Wars: Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith: This film was flawless and an excellent bookend to the trilogy. The fall of Anakin Skywalker is summed up perfectly and Lucas makes his finest work as a director.

17- Jurassic Park: Sure, it sucks if you read the book; but if you haven't it keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Bravo Spielberg for bring it to life. PS: Next time, read the book before adapting it.

16- Broken Arrow: Evil John Travolta at his best and his best death scene, c'mon that whole missile through the gut kicks ass. I've seen it a bunch of times since it came out when I was 12 and I will continue to enjoy it. Welcome to American John Woo.

15- T2: Arnold kept his word, he came back... and better than ever.

14- From Russia With Love: My favorite old-Bond Movie and my favorite with Sean Connery puts this at number 14.

13- Superman: This movie made us believe a man could fly.

12- The Rock: Nick Cage, Ed Harris, and Sean Connery all kicking ass in Alcatraz - what more could anyone ask?

11- Aliens: My favorite of the quadrilogy. Thank you Mr. Cameron for stepping in and not only bringing the franchise farther, but raising the bar in the genre itself. "Stay away from her you BITCH!!!"

10- Saving Private Ryan: The best WWII movie of all-time and one of Spielbergs' best films, this movie brings out the cry baby in all of us. The first 20minutes changed me forever.

9- Face Off: Travolta and Cage are both good and evil and kicking butt. Wow! This movie has it all, no wonder it's number 9.

8- Kill Bill Vol 1: I go to pieces whenever I watch this movie, much like the ensemble cast. It's a masterfully directed samurai film that I love and adore. Gotta love Go-Go.

7- Die Hard: Willis' best movie, excluding the one where he played a dead guy (sorry if I ruined it for anyone) not to mention and evil Alan Rickman who made being Hans Gruber look easy. Yippy-Ki-Yay!

6- Tombstone: My favorite western, that's why it makes the list so far up. Surprised I don't own it. Awww crap, now I gotta go buy it. Damn!

5- Star Wars: Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back: A perfect sequel and the best of both trilogies, this movie has it all.

4- Jaws: Fake sharks never looked so scary.

3- Bourne Identity: Even though I like the sequel better, if you didn't see the first one you were lost. I love the scene where Will Hunting rides the guy down a spiral stairway and puts one in the guys forehead - genius.

2- Batman: First saw it when I was 5 and I still hold it dear 18 years later. Perfect movie.

1- Raiders of the Lost Ark: My favorite action movie ever, I don't think there's much explanation needed.

Sheesh guys, you made it. Your heads must hurt from boredom or you're ready to go to Blockbuster to relive these memorable moments, I know I am... if I don't own it already. Crap, that reminds me, "Tombstone"!

-Chris

No comments: